I hope that it is OK to add a post to this blog, just let me know if it is not...
In light of the wiki and blog lunch and learn, I thought I would share this. This is a wiki my students and I developed during and after our Physics trip to Great America. This was my first shot at using a wiki in class so there is definitely room to grow, but I thought the students did a good job. Thanks for getting me started! Follow the link to check it out if you are interested....
What is a Blog?
A blend of the word, web log, a blog is a type of website that is maintained by an individual that includes regular entries, may also include graphics and video, and encourages commentary on posted content.
What is a Wiki?
A wiki is a website that is a collaborative effort by site visitors and encourages editing and updating of content.
What is the difference?
The main difference is how each tool organizes web content and the number of authors and contributors.
Blogs generally have one administrator, who may grant various levels of permission to other authors, whereas wikis have a platform that encourages multiple authors.
Blog entries are arranged in the order they are posted with the most recent entry first; wikis contain shared content that can be arranged as desired.
Blogs utilize discussion by posting of comments which can be approved and/or moderated by the administrator; wikis allow discussion anywhere on the pages, though some templates have a forum page.
What is the purpose of using this technology in the classroom?
- Supports planning, and critical thinking skills
- Facilitates collaboration and shared authorship
- Provides practice in peer editing and reviewing
- Deters plagiarism by showing process
- Engages and motivates students
- Provides practice in validating information
- Prepares students for college and career
- Meets common core standards for production and distribution of writing
How can I use this in my teaching?
- Collaborative learning
- Electronic portfolios
- Online journal
- School newspaper
- Posting assignments and lessons
- Posting for discussion and reflection
What is your experience with blogs and wikis?